Monday 25 June 2012

Missing undo button: The story of my first love

Undo button: How desperately we need it,but in reality,life doesn't provides us one.

Human beings are prone to make mistakes. We make mistakes,more mistakes,silly mistakes in exams,serious mistakes in life and some embarrassing ones too. The saga of screwing up goes on.

A flashback to childhood reminds me of  those times when I was first learning to ride a bicycle. I fell down probably a hundred of times,getting a lot of scratches on my knees and elbows before "finally" learning the thing. I was yet to learn operating the computer at that time and the innocent me was not aware of these commands:  The undos and the redos. Therefore,I couldn't have thought of these vague ideas at that time,but remembering those times,I always feel funny how pleasurable the process of learning to ride a bicycle would have been if we were powered with these virtual commands.

Mistakes such as falling down from a bicycle aren't big ones. We can afford making such mistakes and they do no harm whatsoever. However,as we grow up in life,mistakes turn out to take a new definition,a new face,which end up causing embarrassments at time. Perhaps there are lot of such mistakes each one of us has committed,so have I. But in life,some of the embarrassing mistakes turn out to be sweet in the due course of time.


It was early days of September and I was new to Facebook. I was new to chatting and I instantly fell in love with it! On one such day,a sly classmate of mine had provided me a link telling me to check it out. As a newcomer to social networks and possibly unaware of the pranks that could be played out,I followed her instructions like a lost puppy. The link directed me to a "compatibility match test". One had to fill out their name and the name of their crush and it would analyze on how compatible the couple turns out to be. 


This girl,my crush,was a classmate of mine,pretty descent and pretty as well. I had a crush on her since 9th standard and I always adored her presence in the class. Although she was unaware of this,she used to make my day. I always felt lonely when she was absent in class. I was deeply lost in her love but never had enough guts to contact her. 


Okay,coming back to the point,I saw at the page. "Cool! Why not give it a try?" I said to myself and filled up the details and whack! I pressed the enter button. The next moment,I was redirected to a message "Sorry! You have been fooled,the name of your crush has been messaged to so-and-so@some-xyz-mail.com (The girl's email ID who had sent me the link)". 


I desperately tried to press the undo button,forgetting that life doesn't happens to be on Microsoft Word,you can't press the undo button. "Shit! You have been trapped".


For the next two days,I faced all sorts of embarrassment,with my classmates not leaving any chance to pull my legs. Although that didn't concern me much,the real concern lied in how embarrassing these things would have been for her (my crush). Out of guilt,I never looked at her,trying to avoid eye-contacts whenever we were about to face each other.


How desperately I wanted an undo button from god at that time but god flatly rejected my plea. 


Perhaps god had better plans in mind. 


Two months later,it was the fun fair. Each of the class in our school is allotted two stalls. The responsibilities are then divided among the classmates. Coincidentally,I was given the responsibility to manage the Chole Bhature stall's affairs with her. I smiled at her and she smiled back. After the duty got over,I gathered all my courage and spoke up "Hey,are you hungry?". Amid confusion,she remained silent before finally telling yes.
"Cool! Lets taste how bad the Chole Bhature is" I said.  "Umm.. okay" She smiled. 


We took two plates full of the mouth watering Punjabi Dish before settling down.


Me:  Hey I'm seriously sorry for all the mess I made 


She: What mess?


Me: The one at classroom...


She: It's fine re! I was actually shocked to know that you..


Me: You?


She (smilingly): sort of like me.. I seriously never expected that from you.. 


Me: actually I wasn't sure on how to approach so I decided to keep it to myself.


She: idiot you are! You would let someone go away from your life rather than approaching her..


I remained silent,being totally blank on how to reply. But she wasn't done yet..


She: And so silly.. you can't even dare to ask your crush's phone number.. phattu (timid) you are.


Adrenaline rushed throughout my body and my heart pumped as wildly as possible. All I wondered was at what rate my heart could pump blood before my veins collapsed. She took the responsibility of interrupting my baseless thinking. "What? You don't even have a phone or what?" We exchanged our numbers and we stayed together throughout the proceedings that evening. We wished good night at the parking and left for out respective homes.


For the next four months,we endlessly texted each other during our free time. We'd be busy during the lectures exchanging glances and endlessly staring each other. During the lunch time,we would be busy sharing each others' lunch. My classmates were shocked and they tried to make fun of me,but perhaps I was too lost in her to pay attention to their comments.


Finally the farewell day came. A series of songs were performed right from "Purani jeans" to "pal" leading to a mixed feeling of joy (remembering the entire journey) and sadness (Feeling that the journey had finally come to an end). Everyone had tears in their eyes and the girls melodramatically hugged each other to express their grief. Finally it was click click time. She was dressed in a beautiful black saree that day. She handed over the camera to one of the juniors and hugged me tight for the photograph. After the photograph,she brought her lips close to my ears and whispered something that I had never expected "Idiot! Do you already know or do I need to tell you that I have fallen for you?"


I was completely cold,unable to believe what she just said. Controlling the sudden burst of euphoria,I whispered to her ears "Oh shit! Now I need to suffer you for the entire lifetime,poor me". She softly slapped me one. No one around us was aware of what just happened,I quickly remembered god and I could feel like he's smiling and telling to me "So you still need an undo button?"


Getting screwed up is an usual thing in life. Everyone chalks out a plan for their life,but at different times,life ceases to be the dream we dream it to be. But in the end,things turn out to be magical,being a part of the story that perhaps even the most excellent writers can't write,after all it has been written by the best story-writer in the world: The almighty.

1 comment:

  1. Its a cute one kiddo :)) loved it .....so u still need undo tab :P

    ReplyDelete