Wednesday 27 June 2012

Mummy's Khichdi

I always loved my mummy from the bottom of my heart. It's always a different feeling to call her Maa . But I never cared to show my love. Perhaps I never found it important to show my love towards her. After all,she is always there for me regardless of my attitude towards her. It's perhaps her duty to take care of me.Perhaps she's doing nothing special for me,every mother does this for their children. There are possibly endless reasons like that and no special reason to understand her worth.

I remember the school days when mummy would remain too busy handling the household affairs and on some days she could manage to make just Khichdi for me. Every time she used to make that,It used to be my utter pleasure to to make faces while eating it,since I liked to eat spicy food. It is the duty of every mother to please their children. It is the right of every children to criticize her when she fails to do so.


But times changed. I am living a bachelor's life now,and thank god there are two awesome restaurants at the walking distance from my home. Life is good with all the spicy Biryaani and paneer dishes I can eat now. I have the access to the best food now so there isn't any problem. But perhaps you can eat these food for weeks and months but one day you are bound to reach the saturation point. I was a fine October evening,and by then I was bored of all the food that I had access to. I didn't wanted to eat Biryaani,neither did I wanted to eat Dhosa or Tandoori Chicken. I wanted that old Khichdi that my mummy used to make. But that day,I didn't have my mummy with me! There was no one whom I could order to make that uninteresting Khichdi for me,neither could I criticize anyone for not making food while I was hungry. Life taught me the worth of my mummy in a hard way.


The best of mouth watering dishes available in any restaurant are no match for the food mummy  makes


My eyes were moist. Situations showed me the mirror and I saw how ugly I was from inside! Two days later it was Saturday. I decided to catch the earliest morning train to home and I did. I was back home and the first thing I did was that I hugged mummy tight and say thank you.  My mummy was perplexed on why I said so,but I didn't speak anything more... my voice chocked and I just smiled. Later my mummy asked "Babu toke to jhaal khete bhalo lage na? Aajge kopi diye dalla banayi?" (You like eating spicy food no? Should I prepare cauliflower's dalla for you?) I said "Na ma.. Khichuri kavar mon koreche.. banabe?" (No mummy,I would like to have Khichdi..  will you make it?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment