Wednesday 20 June 2012

Power of Social Media: A nine-year-old girl's blog goes viral!

There are probably millions of people who are into blogging,Martha Payne is one such girl. However what's unusual about her is that she's just nine-years-old and she has turned up to a unique and interesting way of raising charity! Her blog neverseconds has gone viral in the past few weeks and has got over 6 million hits!



(image courtesy: blog.hellomagazine.com )


She actively blogs and photographs about her school lunch. She has a unique way of describing the food by giving a detailed information about it ranging from food rating to mouthfuls to the price to the number pieces of hair found. 


Her blog has served as a nice forum of debate and discussion,attracting a large number of comments to her posts and eventually drawing up quite a fantastic amount of money for her charity mission. She has raised  stg £80,000 for the charity Mary's Meals Kitchen in Malawi. 



The controversy

The Argyll and Bute Council stopped her from taking photographs of the meals following a newspaper report criticizing the meal arrangement. This was followed by her writing the following post

This morning in maths I got taken out of class by my head teacher and taken to her office. I was told that I could not take any more photos of my school dinners because of a headline in a newspaper today. 

I only write my blog not newspapers and I am sad I am no longer allowed to take photos. I will miss sharing and rating my school dinners and I’ll miss seeing the dinners you send me too. I don’t think I will be able to finish raising enough money for a kitchen for Mary’s Meals either.

Goodbye,
VEG

The post eventually received over 2800 comments,drawing criticism from people and fans all over! 


A large amount of support was seen on twitter too with #neverseconds trending for over 5 hours. Finally the ban was lifted by the council leader Cllr Rody Mcuish. 


Finally she is back to blogging and rating meals in the unique style. This incident clearly exhibits the power and unity of social media and also on it's direct influence over the traditional media. 


Sources:







No comments:

Post a Comment